Sunday, November 29, 2009

Topic #20: Reflections

THE COURSE:

I think that what I have benefited most from the course is the fact that I have learned about new resources that I can add to my classroom. These have come both from the book and from the knowledge of the other students in the class. I think the structure of the course allowed for adequate timing to complete the assignments and what to do with the information and how to incorporate it into our classrooms or at the very least into the blog.

The format of the course is exactly what it was titled to be through SMU. It is an online learning course that is extended in face to face meetings. I would have liked to have more teaching aspects at times of how to use these ideas in our classrooms and more feedback from the professor. I do know that Dr. Lan, was willing to do this if the student made the innitive to contact her. I loved the one on one conversations both over the phone and in the classroom to see where we were located. I liked that after the second part of the class more grades were given and we were able to see where we stood in the class. I think the final exam reveiw is a benefit that we did not have for the mid term and it would be good to have one for future classes. Examples on the projects before hand will also be beneficial for future classes. I think what inhibited me the most as a learner is that I like constant feedback that wasn't always available. I would say the changing of deadlines was also hard to switch to. I think that for next year, it would be beneficial to have set guidelines and when the week closes, the week closes and assignments will not be allowed after that time. This might mean that the class will start with a week and a half to finish assignments like we ended the class.

I think that overall Dr. Lan was very inviting to our veiwpoints and adapted the class as needed.


AS A LEARNER:

I think that while I haven't learned a lot of new components of teaching technology, I have learned how to find resources that are good to use int eh classroom. I would have liked to see our face to face meetings as more of what we learned and discussions aloud to add to (maybe through jigsawing??) what we were learning on our own. I think that while I learned a lot and posted early in the discussion boards, sometimes I forgot to go back and read what other people put because it all became redundant.

Overall, I believe that I learn better in face to face meetings, but there are ways to incorporate that into this class as well. It just means that our face to face meetings would need to be scheduled more about talking about what we have learned and incorporate that into our classrooms. While group time was needed in class as we are all busy outside of the class, maybe that would have been beneficial to be timed. I would have liked to seen the assitive technology project incorporated earlier into the timeline to give students more time to talk through the project, maybe not work on, but know what was expected (start in 2nd face to face as an intro to AT).

I have enjoyed this class and learning more about technology and how to incorporate that into my classroom. Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment