Monday, November 16, 2009

Topic 18: Wordle

Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends.

The one downfall to Wordle is that you cannot save them onto your computer (which I hate). I think that Wordle is a great site for review subjects with your students and to let them get on and play.

I used a Wordle at the beginning of the year as a get to know you project. I can't find mine from the beginning of the year as I just had my students print them and not create an account, but here is a link to one that I love for an English Notebook Cover. The link won't pull up for some reason, so just go to Wordle and look for Enlgish Notebook Cover! If you go on the website and just play around you will find a lot of different uses for Wordle.

I have a feeling that I will be using Wordle for my WWII project with my studetns because it will allow them to start from there and they can be a great word wall for different aspects that would be needed for aroudn the classroom.

One of my students did a Wordle for me because they know how much that I love the book of Romans from the Bible. This is just a different way of how students might use Worlde.

I highly suggest Wordle for all grade levels because it is easy to adapt to the students' needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment