Monday, November 16, 2009

Topic 16: TEKS Checks

In our district, like most other districts, we are required to do benchmarks each month. These benchmarks are called TEKS Checks and the joy of being an 8th grade teacher is that we are supposed to be teaching our lovely students how to transition from using a paper format to taking these on the computer.

This past TEKS Check, my students did horrible on the test. There are multiple factors that they could have led to a horrible test, but the one thing that we noticed, is that there is the new factor that they took it solely on the computer. Due to this, we are now transitioning back to the paper format and hten putting it into the computer.

This makes me furious as a teacher that wants to make my students better equiped for high school, but then at the same time, I feel like I can't continue to do bad on TEKS checks and then get reprimanded by the principal.

I am still searching for that perfect way to blend technology with the TEKS checks. I know that there is also an issue that if we teach it solely on teh computer, will they be prepared to take the test when they are in high school and have to take a paper based TAKS test? i think that at times technology is the best thing that we can do for students, but then there are times that I am just unsure.

While, I know that I am blessed to be in a district that mandates technology use in our classrooms, it is also hard for me to split what is the best practice when I am one of the few teachers that uses our COW's. TEKS checks are supposed to be a benchmark, and while I agree with this, my principal sees it as a ranking with other schools in the district. I know that as a future MTT that I will continue to incorporate technology and know that I am putting my students first and that is all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment